Asheville Hand to Shoulder Specialists
Western NC’s leading hand surgery team since 1976
The hand is a delicate balance of bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles, nerves, and blood vessels. Injury or disease of these components can result in pain and loss of function. Whether re-attaching a severed finger or releasing a carpal tunnel, our fellowship-trained hand surgeons have built this practice over the past 40 years by offering the highest level of care available in the region. We treat patients of all ages, utilizing a team of surgeons, PAs, therapists, and other staff to restore this essential part of your body to good working order. Our extensive training and experience also include treatment of wrist and forearm conditions, upper extremity trauma reconstruction, and microsurgery. We represent the majority of the surgeons providing hand trauma care at Mission Hospital.
We offer extensive elbow treatment from simple tennis elbow injections to complicated “Tommy John Ligament” reconstruction. Most elbow conditions can be treated conservatively, but when needed, our practice offers advanced arthroscopic and reconstructive techniques to get this complicated joint back in working order.
The shoulder is arguably the most complicated joint in the body. Our shoulder clinic is the busiest in the region. Several of our surgeons offer treatment of common shoulder conditions such as Dislocations, Biceps Tears, Rotator Cuff Tears, and Arthritis. We were the first to offer outpatient surgery center shoulder replacement in 2011 and remain the only practice offering this service. The vast majority of our shoulder procedures are performed arthroscopically with the latest equipment and techniques. However, most patients benefit from conservative treatments because surgery is only offered when necessary.
Fractures & Injuries
- Finger Fractures (Boxer’s Fx) – a break in the metacarpal bones
- Distal Radius Fracture (wrist) – most common break in the arm, largest of the two bones in the forearm near the wrist
- Flexor Tendon Injuries – the tendons in the hand that bends the fingers
- Mallet Finger – an injury to tendon that straightens the finger, the fingertip droops and cannot be actively straightened
- Hand Fractures
Diseases & Conditions
- Arthritis – inflammation of joints causing stiffness and pain, including arthritis of the thumb and rheumatoid arthritis
- Boutonniere Deformity – injury to the tendon in the middle joint of fingers preventing straightening and finger tip is pulled upward.
- Dupuytren’s Contracture – tissue in palm that becomes thick and tight causing fingers to be pulled downward into palm.
- DeQuervain’s Tendinosis –inflammation of the tendons at base of thumb causing pain and unable to grip.
- Trigger Finger – injury to the tendon in fingers or thumb causing a locking or catching before straightening.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – causes hand numbness and pain from inflammation on the flexor tendons causing pressure on the nerve in the wrist.
- Cubital Tunnel Syndrome – numbness, tingling and pain in the hand, finger and forearm caused by excessive pressure on the ulnar nerve
- Ganglion Cyst – most common on top of hand and wrist, fluid filled lump or mass.
Shoulder & Elbow
- Clavicle Fracture – also known as a broken collarbone.
- Biceps Tendon Tear – located in front of upper arm that is used to bend your elbow and rotate your arm.
- Dislocated Shoulder – the joint is out of socket causing pain, swelling, and weakness.
- Rotator Cuff Tears – tendons in the shoulder joint that become torn or damaged from falling or heavy lifting, or just living life.
- SLAP Tear (Superior Labrum Anterior and Posterior) – tissue at the biceps insertion found in the shoulder socket that can be torn from repetitive use.
- Frozen Shoulder (Adhesive Capsulitis)– stiffness and pain in the shoulder joint.
- Rotator Cuff Tendinitis – tendons in shoulder become painful caused by overuse of upper arm.
- Arthritis of Shoulder – inflammation in the joint causing pain and difficulty to raise and use upper arm.
- Learn more about common shoulder injuries & treatments
We Can Help You!
Start your journey to living a healthy & happy life today! Call us at 828-253-7521 or